Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Pearl Among Us

Today I went over to Granny's house to "do laundry." I use this excuse visit and check on Granny without making her suspicious about my true motives. The fact that I can get all my laundry done in 3-4 hours is just a bonus. The majority of the time we're talking about family, school, and life in general. (Granny sometimes pauses to yell as Papaw too but thats another post entirely.) It is the kind of give and take conversation I can have with friends. She's not too judging and attempts to see things from a different PoV. Even if the information I share is against what she thinks or something she doesn't understand. One might never expect this from a southern baptist woman, but what can I say...Granny is awesome!

I got a insight today that I haven't seen since I was little. Those of you reading that don't know how my Dad's side of the family works here's the deal. There is an appearance of one leading and the other following, but it is the strength of the "Wagoner" comes out in both the sexes. Even if their name was changed they have their mother's strength. Today this strength of will poped its head out during a conversation about past, present, and future family drama. (Family is most important in her PoV) Not going to go into details, but she let it be known to me that future shenanigans were not going to be tolerated anymore, and that the wrath of a woman protecting her family would be known.

All I can say is when I was younger I feared her more than anyone else. It wasn't a bed wetting fear of the wooden spoon, more of a fear of how I would disapoint this women who gave up so much to do the right thing.Seeing her with the old fire that she had cooled for the sake of her children and grandchildren took me back and re-inspired me.

It saddens me that this generation will not be around much longer and we'll lose what they could have taught us. I have,in part, this woman to thank for the family I have. The good and the annoying. (You know who you are)

No comments:

Post a Comment