Thursday, November 4, 2010

WALKING

It was a hard line to walk with my feet bleeding. The threads of the wire pulled the skin of my feet away from the muscles. I could feel the blood draining and falling into the rocky ground beneath me. The blue rocks swallowed the drops.

I was use to the balancing, and the slipperiness of the chord. It felt like I had been walking the wire for years, even though it had only been a few hours. I did not know how I got here or where I was going. All I knew was that the red wires lead to a place I’ve already been so walked the other way.

Not being one for physical activeness, I was rather proud of myself. I had only lost my footing once. That was how I knew the blue beneath me were rocks. The horizon was split down the middle, and it hurt to look. I kept my eyes on the unsoiled cord and walked.

The sun spun and my head reeled. The blood loss was taking its toll.  I couldn’t stop, there was nowhere to rest. The light weaved itself along the horizon line, and my sight grew fuzzy.

Foot slipped.
Had to keep moving.

Blackness.





As the body fell, the wires expanded. The blue rocks melted into water as the body fell on the wiry net. The soles were healed and the sun climbed into the sky.
                  



                 I awoke to a rocking motion. The sun peering around a vertical line in the sky. Standing I fell. I grabbed onto a thick metal cable. Sharp pain shot up my foot. What was going on? Blue rocks had split my foot open and the blood was disappearing into the rocks below me.

                I pulled myself back onto the cable.

I screamed.

Panicked.

Calmed.

Nothing to do but walk. I followed the rotation of the sun. I didn’t know what had done to deserve this. It was a hard line to walk with my feet bleeding.

2 comments: